Date: June 24, 2012
By Joseph DeCaro, BosNewsLife International Correspondent
ABUJA, NIGERIA (BosNewsLife)– Militants of the Nigerian Islamic group, Boko Haram, plan to make June their bloodiest month yet as they prepare hundreds of suicide bombers to attack Christians and already bombed several churches, rights group International Christian Concern (ICC) has warned.
In a statement seen by BosNewsLife Sunday, June 24, ICC said Boko Haram, which means 'Western Education is a Sin' told online news agency "Sahara Reporters" that 300 suicide bombers are ready to attack churches and other Christian targets
"Because of the trend of events, there is every possibility that something like that will happen," explained Reverend Lawi Pokti, the chairman the Christian Association of Nigeria in the country's volatile Bauchi state.
However, "I can’t 100 percent accept that it will happen," Potki stressed in a statement distributed by ICC, adding that he has urged Christians to pray for the nation.
At least over 100 people were killed this month when Boko Haram attacked churches and other sites, which also resulted to sectarian clashes between Muslims and Christians, according to Christians, rescue groups and officials.
BosNewsLife's Paul Jongas reported from Nigeria that few people attended church services Sunday, June 24, amid the Islamic violence.
Pokti said he asked Christians to "remember that Jesus said in the world there is tribulation but with Him there is peace."
The Christian leader urged Nigerian security forces to realize that "they are called to serve the Nigerian nation so they should do it without religious bias."
He said they "should defend the nation irrespective of one’s religion so that peace will prevail in the nation.”
There has been mounting pressure on Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan, a Christian from the south, to increase security for fellow Christians, though he claims he has stepped up security.
Boko Haram says it wants to establish a state based on Shariah, or Islamic law, and has ordered Christians to leave northern Nigeria.
"This latest threat [of sending more suicide bombers] by Boko Haram to mass murder Christians is extremely alarming," argued Jonathan Racho, ICC’s regional manager for Africa in remarks to BosNewsLife.
He complained that Nigeria's government so far "utterly failed to protect its citizens" and said Boko Haram "must be destroyed before it is allowed to destroy Nigeria" amid fears of civil war in this troubled African nation of 160 million people.