Boko Haram in Cameroon: 8 children killed by boy suicide bomber, 6 others kidnapped

Source:                         www.worldwatchmonitor.org

Date:                              August 25, 2017

 

After a period of relative calm, the Far North region of Cameroon, along the Nigerian border, has witnessed an upsurge of attacks by Boko Haram in recent days.

On 17 Aug, a church elder was killed in a night raid carried out by the radical Islamist group on Moskota village.

Adamu Nguda, formerly a church elder in Mouldougwa, was displaced to live as an IDP to Moskota.

His killers also kidnapped his 6 children – between the ages of 3 and 15.
His wife was left behind in a state of total shock.

In a separate attack the same day, attackers also burned the house of Lazare Mahama, another Christian. They stole his wallet containing money and ID documents.

The attackers also burned an undetermined number of properties.

Earlier on 6 Aug, eight children were killed in a suicide attack in Amchide. The suicide bomber, a young child, met the children while they played outside in the evening – then detonated his bombs.

According to a local church leader, all eight children had attended Sunday school of the Union of Evangelical Churches (UEEC) in Amchide.

The recent attacks have reignited fear in local Christians; some have begun to flee their homes.

The recourse to children as suicide bombers by Boko Haram is not new.

UNICEF says the group has sent out four times as many child suicide bombers this year as in all of 2016, in NE Nigeria. It said it was “extremely concerned about an appalling increase in the cruel and calculated use of children, especially girls, as ‘human bombs’ in northeast Nigeria. The use of children in this way is an atrocity”.

83 children were used as bombers since Jan. 1, 2017, UNICEF said: 55 girls, mostly under 15 years old, and 27 boys. One was a baby strapped to a girl. 19 children were used in 2016.

Secure Donation

with PayPal

Pray for the Unreached