Date: August 23, 2013
Recently, Boko Haram, whose name means "Western education is sacrilege," kidnapped three teachers at gunpoint from an elementary school in Benin City. A massive manhunt is underway. This incident is the fifth attack against a school since June.
The Boko Haram attacked four other schools in the northeast states of Adamawa, Yobe, and Borno. According to UNICEF, the terrorists killed 48 students and 7 teachers.
In the Yobe assault, militants set a school on fire while the students, aged 10-15, slept. The blaze burned them alive. Boko Haram members surrounded the school and shot anyone trying to escape. At another school in Mamudo, the terrorists shot and killed 22 students and a teacher. Adanu Haruna, school headmaster, says, "They made the students line up and strip naked, then they made the ones with pubic hair lie face down on the ground. They shot them point blank then set the bodies on fire."
Abubakar Shekau, alleged leader of the Boko Haram, says, "We fully support the attack on the school in Mamudo, as well as on other schools. Western education schools are against Islam. We will kill their teachers."
The Boko Haram wants to reinstate a 19th century caliphate and restore Sharia law. According to Jacob Zenn of the Jamestown Foundation, "Boko Haram thinks the secular school system has brainwashed Nigerians to accept the post-colonial Western order and forget the Islamic ways that existed before."
In response to the bloodshed, the governor of Yobe closed all schools. Many teachers and students have also withdrawn from schools throughout Nigeria. Ali Umar, a secondary school teacher, says, "I am not prepared to die for teaching. Time to start looking for a new job."
Let's Pray For:
- The Lord to send warring angels like Michael, one of God's chief angels, to demolish the demonic forces that are using the treacherous Boko Haram to harm innocent children, teachers, and people throughout Nigeria (The Bible, Daniel 10:13).
- The Lord of Armies to raise His whip to severely punish the Boko Haram regime so they will know there is a God in Heaven Who judges the murderers of these innocent children and teachers (The Bible, Isaiah 10:26 GW).
- The Lord to expose every member of Boko Haram, where they live, and their hiding places to the government (The Bible, Mark 4:22).
- The Lord to set ambushes against Boko Haram and for the fear of the Lord to overtake them so they will stop killing innocent people (The Bible, 2 Chronicles 20:22).
- The Lord to empower the Nigerian government to disband, arrest, and prosecute the Boko Haram (The Bible, Proverbs 21:15).
- Abubakar Shekau and members of the Boko Haram to turn away from radical Islam and believe in Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior (The Bible, Ezekiel 18:21-23).
- The Church to stand firmly in her spiritual authority to drive out this wickedness. Pray that the Church will not give the Lord any rest until the Boko Haram regime is completely destroyed (The Bible, Luke 18:6-8).
- A holy indignation to rise up in the Church to pray without ceasing and declare spiritual war against the demonic forces causing Boko Haram to perform these hideous acts against innocent children (The Bible, 1 Thessalonians 5:17 NKJV).
- The three teachers to be found safe and unharmed (The Bible, Psalm 37:40).
- God to supernaturally protect children and teachers throughout Nigeria (The Bible, John 16:33).
- The Lord to comfort the many grieving families (The Bible, Psalm 34:18).
- The safety and protection of Christian Believers during Boko Haram's reign of terror (The Bible, Psalm 4:8). Agree in prayer that this reign of terror will cease immediately!